Wednesday, May 4, 2011

COLOMBIAN NOSTALGIA

When I was 14, I had the amazing blessing to move to Colombia. I spent 4 of the happiest years of my life in that country. Colombians are literally some of the most amazing people I have ever met. I miss something about Colombia nearly every single day. Most times it's my dear friends, sometimes it's the delicious food, but there are so many more things that go on that list: the beautiful green mountains of Bogota, the perfect never too cold/never too hot weather, their beautiful accent, their extreme politeness, the kindness with which mothers always speak to their children, the hard working people who are everywhere, the colonial architecture, the happiness of people who have endured a lot and are proud to be a nation that fights for freedom. The list could go on forever. There are no words that can express the love and respect that I have for those people. 


Looks like the setting for a Fairy Tale right? Colombia is my inspiration today. The country is filled with talented musicians, painters and actors.  One of the things that impressed me the most is the local traditional craftwork. I especially love the graphic design quality of the geometric designs of the Mochilas and the Caña Flecha works made with natural cane fibers. Enjoy! You can purchase and look at some of these items online here and here.
















This last one is called a "Sombrero Vueltiao" and it has become a National Symbol for Colombia. Previously worn by peasants, now nearly every Colombian has at least one of these at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment