Friday, April 29, 2011

WHAT IS A GLOTTOTETA, YOU MAY ASK...

An artistic language, or artlang, is a constructed language designed for aesthetic pleasure. Now a constructed language is a language that has been consciously devised by an individual. The purpose of such languages can vary.They can be created to ease human communication, to give fiction or a constructed world an added layer of realism (like Elvish in Lord of the Rings for example), for linguistic experimentation or for artistic creation. (I admit, I didn't really know all this stuff, but thank heavens for wikipedia!)

But what does all of this have to do with me calling this blog"La Glottoteta"? Patience my dears, I'm getting there.

A conlanger is a person who invents a constructed language. As I thought about the reason why I wanted to finally start my own blog, I came to the conclusion that I wanted a gateway to post pictures of things that inspire me daily. As a graphics designer and a visual person, I see beautiful things that stimulate my creativity everyday. The bottom line is, I want to have a place to share all the cool stuff I come across everyday! So my blog is going to be my artistic language created solely for aesthetic pleasure! I'm going to invent my own little visual language to ease human communication (with all those friends who are so far away, but still want to know what's going on in my daily life), to give an added layer of realism to fiction (believe me, my dream home is amazing, you will definitely want to see it), to experiment with different shapes/colors/patterns, and most importantly for artistic creation! I am venturing into this new conlanger business. But the word conlanger is not nearly as cool and fun to say as it's italian synonym "Glottoteta"! So there it is. That's what a Glottoteta is.

I hope you stick around. I promise my posts will have less talking and more pictures, just like my favorite books! =)

Today's inspiration: Sandra Suy's amazing fashion illustrations check out her portfolio!
Here are some of my very favorites...

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Mari! Go Ahead! "visual person"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que legal, Mari!!! Vou colocar o seu url na lista dos meus blogs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari, vou te mandar um invite pro Pinterest. Ja ouviu falar? Acho q vc vai amar, eu mandei um invite pra Camila ontem tb. Eh um site onde vc junta todas essas fotos/imagens na internet q vc e adora duma maneira mais organizada que bookmarks. Vc ia gostar!!! Eh la q eu organizo roupas, receitas, quotes, sewing projects, cool photographs, products, etc etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manda Manda! I want to check it out =)

    ReplyDelete